Saturday, May 10, 2014

DIY Baby Wrap (Moby Wrap Style)

     I'm pregnant! Cue all the baby craft projects!! Actually, I haven't held back all that much, but now I'm really not holding back!  Seriously, my craft budget has been...flexible lately. ;D

      Today I'll show you the DIY baby wraps I made, for about $14 each!  I found this pin on Pinterest, linking to Mile High Mom's blog


     Her instructions and photos are straightforward and easy to follow, so I'll just make a few comments on how my project went.

     First, if your baby's father is interested in babywearing (hooray for involved dads!), you will probably need at least 6 yards of fabric.  I almost got less than that because my first choice of fabric had less than 6 yards on the bolt, but I changed my mind and I'm glad I did.  Since we have no baby to practice on yet, we are estimating how it will fit, but I think it's still helpful.  For me (5'7", normally 120 lbs), 5 yards probably would have done just fine because as it is I criss-cross in back and tie in front.  For Andrew, six yards gives him enough to tie in the back, with no additional criss-cross. He's 5"11", and around 190 lbs.
[Here's Moby's instructions, so you know what I'm talking about.] 

     The fabric I chose was a jersey cotton material, and with a coupon at JoAnn's, 6 yards cost me about $ 28, for enough to make two wraps.  It has a good amount of stretch, but not too much (no spandex), and it won't fray so I didn't bother to hem it (score!)

     I did cut triangles off the ends, like she suggests, and I think that helps reduce the bulk at the ends. 

     One additional thing I did was sew on a ribbon tag where Moby puts their tags, so that Andrew and I can find the center easily.  I just used a simple gray ribbon, but it looks pretty nice with my dark purple fabric.  If I were making this as a gift, I would put a "Made with Love" type of tag there.  You can always tie your wrap with the tag facing in, too. 

     I can't wait to use our wraps! Andrew is excited, too, and was kind enough to model my finished product for this. Just pretend there's a baby in there.






No comments:

Post a Comment