Sunday, July 14, 2013

Denim Rag Quilt

      When I saw this picture on Pinterest (no real link attached), I thought it was a brilliant idea for old jeans, because you could make a quilt with such character, and reuse clothes you might normally donate or toss.  I was given a pair of very light blue colored jeans by a friend, and I knew they wouldn't be worn, but the color was unique enough to inspire me to make this happen.
      This quilt was the first I did 100% on my own, start to finish.  My only previous quilt was from a kit, with all the pieces pre-cut, including the fringe (it was a fleece rag quilt).  Although this was a little intimidating, I loved the idea and wanted to make one for a picnic blanket, (that I could maybe even use this summer) so I was motivated.  I bought the denim from thrift stores in the form of denim dresses and jeans at good sale prices.  This way, I avoided buying denim fabric new, which runs $12/yard, and got the additional character pieces like pockets and pleats (from a dress bodice).  I recommend against doing what the picture shows, with all the seams running across and sewing on waistbands to keep the labels, because it was hard enough to sew through 4 layers of it when all my fabric was smooth.
      I also made sure to get denim that was generally lighter weight (my machine is by no means industrial strength).  If you do buy the denim new, I think my weights were in the 7-11 oz range, and I recommend keeping it under 11.  I say this not only so you don't kill your machine but because if you go heavier the finished quilt, especially if it's bigger than mine, will weigh a ton!  I wasn't sure how well the quilt would turn out if I left it fringed all around the outside, so I went ahead and put some quilt binding on it.  It was really easy, but I think you could go either way.  I think it makes it look a little more put together, and hopefully it'll hold up a little better long-term.
      If you're going to tackle a denim quilt, make sure you buy the special denim sewing needles for your machine, some heavy duty thread, and definitely spring action sewing scissors like these.  Here's my finished product! I'm pretty proud of it.



Here's a close-up so you can see the cool square with buttons I got from a pleated dress bodice.   I ended up with 4 pockets, so I put those by the corners so I can hold down napkins or keep track of silverware on a picnic.



      I also used the ties from one of the denim dresses to make a tie for my blanket to keep it neat when it's rolled up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment