Thursday, April 18, 2013

Delicious Soft Pretzels!

      I have about a million pins on my "fun food" board on Pinterest.  I've been wanting to try so many of the recipes, and now pretty much whenever I decide to bake something, I go to my board and find the right pin.  Because of this, if you look for soft pretzel recipes, you'll find I have about 5 different ones saved!  I finally got around to trying one, and I found the easiest one to try -- no dropping in boiling water, pretty simple prep, and it takes about an hour to make.

Don't these look mouth-watering?

      This "Auntie Anne's copycat" recipe is care of Yammie's Noshery. Since it's just my husband and me, I halved the recipe so we wouldn't be pigging out too excessively.  When I first made the recipe, I used 2 and a quarter cups of flour, and, like some of the original poster's commenters noted, the dough was quite wet.  It made it pretty difficult to work with, even as I floured my hands when I was shaping it into pretzels.  The second time around, I added a bit of flour, just under 1/4 cup, and it was perfect!

Way easier to knead with my hands (rather than the mixer) if I wanted to.

Lovely little pretzels!  I would make them skinnier if I had a bigger surface to roll them out on.

Since I didn't roll them really skinny, they puffed up and became all one piece.  Still delicious!
      One more thing -- the first time I made them, we had kosher salt, which was good.  The second time, we used coarse sea salt, which really gives it that pretzel look.  Just be careful you don't oversalt them, the larger salt is stronger tasting, so a little goes further than kosher salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment